Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Most of you, I assume, know what this date is all about—lots of delicious Mexican food, right?!  Actually, Cinco de Mayo, besides literally meaning May 5th, represents Mexico’s army’s victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, not to be confused with Mexico’s Independence Day, which is celebrated on September 16th.

But for many of us, Cinco de Mayo is all about celebrating the amazing culinary wonder of Mexican cuisine.  Hey, I’m all for cheering about who won what battle for whatever, but, more importantly it's really about how to make excellent salsa, right?  Check this out…



Actually, salsa is only one of the many reasons why I indulge in and love Mexican food.  Guacamole is another…



Okay, seriously, why else should you embrace this cool day?  How about healthy, tasty, easy to make enchiladas? 




I never heard of Cinco de Mayo until I migrated from New England out to Southern California in the eighties, but now this tasty holiday appears to be growing in popularity.  Whatever the reason, take today off and dive into some Mexican history, with some guac and salsa on the side.  Oh, and don’t forget the jalapenos…



Until next time…

peace,

Mike

6 comments:

kRiZcPEc said...

thanks for sharing, I'm staying healthy & happy w/ Mike. :)

Karen and Gerard said...

I wondered what that phrase meant--kept seeing it on several blogs. I'm sharing about this on my Friday "Things We Learned This Week Post" with a link back here.

samira said...

I've just seen yr blog, I'm Iranian living in Switzerland, i was searching for passion fruit and saw yr video on you tube and found yr blog.
Not only these healthy ideas, but also the hope u have to live in this earth is interesting for me.:)

Amy Putkonen said...

This is awesome, Mike! I actually did know what Cinco de Mayo was, but only because my daughter told me!

Logo Design said...

I think it’s one of those things were people need an excuse to party. Think about how many people who celebrate St. Patrick’s Day that isn’t Irish. BTW, Colorado has the biggest Cinco de Mayo celebration, outside of Mexico.

Unknown said...

The only issue i have with 5 de Mayo is that mexican food make me fat and i tend to over do it because i love tortilas, enchiladas and specially burritos, but i have this solved (Ithink) i got and excercise rutine that will help me losse weigth so i can go at it on the next 5 de mayo hehe or Christmas :)

http://as-seen-on-tv-promotions.com/supreme-90-day