Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Passion of the Fruit

What is passion fruit? First off, it is one amazing, tasty fruit, but also one of the oddest looking. It also has one of the strangest names. Why is it called passion fruit? Spanish missionaries is South America thought the fruit resembled different religious symbols depicting the crucifixion and named it after the passion of the Christ: Passion fruit.

When did I first encounter this interesting fruit? It was at a farmer's market on Maui. I noticed these shriveled-looking orbs, kind of like a lime or lemon that was left out in the sun too long. The guy working behind the table grabbed one, sliced it open, scooped out its innards, and offered me a spoonful. I immediately recoiled at the sight of the gooey, slimy, seedy glob...and then he suggested I close my eyes and take a swallow. Man, was I glad I did.

Here is what it looked and tasted like:

HOW TO...EAT PASSION FRUIT



If you have never tried this amazing fruit, you are missing out on one awesome taste sensation. A little tart, with some sweet mixed in; citrus and peach, pineapple...you just have to try it (and get over the seeds and slime) to really appreciate it.

But why else should you embrace this freaky fruit? Passion fruit are high in vitamin A, Potassium, and have a decent amount of fiber. They are also a good source of ascorbic acid (vitamin C). They even have some protein and iron, making them a pretty decent super food.

Enjoy them in smoothies, juices and desserts, alongside savory dishes and in salads. But I like passion fruit right out of the shell, like this guy is enjoying it:

WHAT IS PASSION FRUIT?



Grown in most tropical regions, like Hawaii, passion fruit is a delicious treat, loaded with nutritional benefits, and versatile as a dessert, enhancing a beverage, or adding some zing to your favorite seafood or vegetarian dish.

One of the things I love to do while on vacation in exotic places is visit the local farmer's markets. This is one of the best ways to taste the homegrown fruits and vegetables you may not have the opportunity to try elsewhere. While relaxing on the island of Maui, soaking in the sun and wandering through a farmer's market, I discovered passion fruit and still smile as I remember how amazing that slimy, seedy fruit tasted.

Ugly? Perhaps. Delicious? Undoubtedly. Good for you? Most certainly.

If you get the change, try passion fruit. And always support your local farmer's markets, you'll be glad you did.

Until next time...

peace,

Mike
livelife365.com

19 comments:

Jackie said...

I usually think of them as granadillas.

I love them and always squeeze one or two over my fruit salads and the juice is one of my favourites :)

Susan Blake said...

Hi Mike! Well the odds were that you would probably do a number on something I haven't tried eventually! This was it! So I'll see what Whole Foods has in the way of Passion Fruit.

I'm doing a series of blogs trying to inform about the GMO's, chemicals and bad stuff that is in our food system. Any way you can help me spread the word on this? I'm not much of a media mavin. Since we are both on the same side of healthy living, I have to ask for any assistance I can find. Thanks so much!

Unknown said...

jackie: never heard them called granadillas...but i agree, the juice is worth every squeeze...

suzen: hah, finally wrote about a fruit or veg you've not tried yet...worthwhile, by the way...of course i will help, just let me know what i can do and i will do my best...i will drop by your blog in a few and check it out...

mike: wow, cool, i will drop by and see what's up...thanks...


peace,

mike

David Tamayo said...

I agree these fruits are delicious. I also enjoy the scent of this fruit. :O)

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Yes, passion fruit is one of the best sources of an amazing, tangy fruit drink. The taste is really different and the smell is breathlessly heavenly and strong. It gives instant energy and verve to its drinkers. I tried it before and I really loved the taste. Too bad there is not much passion fruit in our country sold commercially in the market. Thanks for the post. God bless.

self defense Rob said...

I've never had an actual passion fruit in it's actual form, just as an ingredient flavoring in juice or other product. I have to say though, the flavor is absolutely delicious.

I'll have to try to find some in the exotic fruit section of the grocery store.

Unknown said...

david: the smell of passion fruit is amazing...

mel: finding this fruit may be more difficult than enjoying it...

self defense rob: good luck, hope you find some...


peace,

mike

Matt said...

I love passion fruit! I also include apples in a fruit salad that helps keep weight off. read more on the benefits of apples at our blog :)

Patty said...

I have always had so much trouble trying to eat a passion fruit but they're just so good I can't stop :)

Unknown said...

matt: an apple a day...i actually eat an apple a day, and a banana, and....

patty: slice 'em in half and scoop out the glop inside...enjoy


peace,

mike

Paul Eilers said...

Look at that tan!

rodent tuber said...

I never eat this fruit, it is very sour.
I just know that this fruit has a lot of functions

Amy said...

I never taste that fruit ever since..How was it taste like? I think I prefer juice for that fruit..ready to drink.

Carrie said...

You r right,I have always had so much trouble trying to eat a passion fruit but they're just so good I can't stop.

Becky said...

I really loved the taste.

Sadie said...

Well, I tried it before and I really loved the taste.

Allison Clark said...

I remember eating passion fruits when I was young, we even put drinking straws on it. I really loved the taste. Too bad there is not much passion fruit in our country sold commercially in the market.

strategic default said...

I think it's best to line your cupcake tins rather than grease them. I didn't make it with the caramel, but I cut a piece out of the top, filled it with icing and then shoved a caramilk square into it.

ft lauderdale said...

Yeah! I agree that the atmosphere is cozy and the food is very good.