Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Look, Up in the Sky! It's a Bird, a Plane, a Blog, a...Vlog?

I am one of those rare birds lucky enough to have both a blog and a vlog. Most everyone knows what a blog is: a shortened version of "web log." This is a site where people can post just about anything that interests them, and, hopefully, the masses. There are blogs about everything one can possibly imagine. Most are very entertaining. I enjoy visiting them, checking them out, seeing what's new and interesting. And though, originally, they were mostly just in the form of the written word, now quite a few blogs have branched off into other areas of communication. Like videos. Technology has made it a breeze to add vids right onto most blogs with simple cutting and pasting. Heck, even I can do it.

The other side of the coin is something close to my heart: vlogs. The name derives from Video Log, and just like blogs these sites can be about any topic that interests you. The major difference between blogs and vlogs is the amount of video. Take my site, livelife365.com, for example. My goal when I created this site was to offer a venue to share my information using a video format. And, save for a few bits of text here or there, I have been true to my vision. A visit to my site offers you tips on diet and nutrition, exercise and motivation, self-help and overcoming adversity. As well as entertaining and funny songs, videos, and rants. And all of them are in video form. You will not find a written piece, like this one, anywhere on the site. And that to me is a true vlog.

But a funny thing happened while I was promoting my site, visiting other sites, mostly blogs, networking with all of the wonderful people who make up the blogging community. I wanted to be one of them, join them. And not just as the new kid on the block with the vlog. I wanted to be part of their blogging community with my very own blog. An interesting self realization, coming from a guy who thought that video-driven sites were going to be the next big thing.

The fact is, I have come to understand that while video is here to stay and will eventually be everywhere, on every site, mark my words. The blog will never die. Just like newspapers. Books. Magazines. Because there were many who thought that any paper-based from of media would eventually dry up and blow away, never being able to compete with the convenience of an electronic media. Not the case. True, sales and subscriptions may be down, but I honestly believe that newspapers will never die. And neither will the blog. There is room in this here town for the both of us.

I want to take a moment to thank all of the great people with whom I have networked and met online while promoting livelife365.com. I feel lucky and blessed to be part of such a kind and giving community...even if I do have a vlog. But, now, also a blog.

So, read or watch, as long as you are doing all that you can to make each day count, living your life every day and every way. Until next time...

peace,
Mike

No comments: